a collection of certainly special, uniquely unusual, and equally momentous thoughts: memoirs of me

Friday, May 27, 2011

A night out on the town

I have absolutely no qualms with going places on my own, as in, going out to see a site or to eat at a restaurant or go shopping, all by myself. I’m not sure why. It could be that I’m the oldest child and have had to forge the trail my whole life, or it could be that I’m not one of those people who wouldn’t be caught dead in some social circumstance without a girlfriend or boyfriend or any sort of friend by my side. I simply don’t mind doing things on my own. In fact, I think it’s kinda liberating being able to go anywhere all by myself and enjoy my own company and the pleasure of a great meal or a great flick alone.

That’s what I did tonight.

With both my roommates (and the rest of the DC singles world) at Duck Beach for Memorial Weekend (I moved here just a tad too late to get a spot in a house) and with three whole days all to my lonesome, I decided I had to make some grand plans in order to make some grand memories this weekend.

So I did.

And I started off the weekend right with taking myself on a date. Yes you heard me right. I got all dressed up in a cute skirt and some pretty jewelry, caught the bus to Pentagon row and took myself out to dinner.

Can I just say it was one of the most pleasant evenings I’ve had in a while?

Pentagon Row is an outdoor mall that’s just to die for. It’s absolutely gorgeous with cute restaurants (which are all fairly reasonable in price) that each have outdoor eating areas, nice sun umbrellas, and lots to look at and soak in. I choose Noodles & Co. which is one of my favorite restaurants in Orem, decided on a bowl of Japanese Pan Noodles with sautéed beef, and a piece of flat bread. Yum and delicious.

Sitting outside in the warm evening air, reminiscing on my time and memories already made here in DC, thinking about all that’s before me, listening to people’s conversations next me. It was glorious. I spent a good deal of time at my table enjoying the light breeze and reading a chapter from President Monson’s biography (which is spectacular by the way and everyone should read it asap).

I took a stroll around the shops and looked at the menus of the other restaurants for future date nights. Of course I ended up at DSW and had to buy a pair of sexy black heels to go with my sexy black pencil skirt I bought last weekend at GAP for sickeningly cheap. Love GAP sales. Love sexy black pencil skirts. Love sexy black heels. Love feeling sexy.

To top it off I totally splurged and bought a vanilla bean frappuccino from Starbucks and then proceeded to sit on a bench and sip it nonchalantly while enjoying everything around me.

With the exception of the shoes I feel like it was a pretty thrifty night. I mean, I only spent $11 on food and dessert. That’s pretty good right?

Don’t get me wrong, I hope for the day when I will have a handsome man to share nights like this with. I think it would be grand to fall in love in this city. But for now I’m completely content and completely happy. Like my roommate said the other day, we are so lucky because we get to experience and live both lives, the single one and the married one. I get to live and breath and party and rock the single life and eventually I’ll get to live and breath and rock the married and married with kids life.

I’m so glad I get to do both.

I’m so glad I get to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment