a collection of certainly special, uniquely unusual, and equally momentous thoughts: memoirs of me

Friday, May 20, 2011

Big Smiles and Swollen Hearts

Adventure of the night: Washington DC temple

I finally made it! I might have been most excited about this adventure out of all of them and I was finally able to go last night! It was our stake temple night and I went with a couple new girlfriends. When we arrived it was almost sunset and let me tell you, there aren’t words to describe the scene of serenity and beauty surrounding the temple. It had been raining slightly all day but the sun was finally uncovered and the greenness, lushness, and beauty were beyond words. It was very heavenly.

The DC temple is a very large temple and has a similar feel to that of Provo or SLC because of its older interior design, textiles, and architecture. I always love receiving my recommend back after they’ve scanned it and walking past the front desk into the larger lobby. Since the temple was almost closed for its regular hours there weren’t a lot of people around. It was quiet as always, big smiles on everyone’s faces, and a feel of holiness, joy, peace, and comfort that is unique to every one of the Lord’s temples. We dressed in our white clothes and joined with the rest of our stake and ward in the chapel.

I loved listening to my own bishop bear his testimony along with the temple president and wife. It prepared me for the ordinances we would begin shortly. The session was amazing and sitting in the large celestial room after and watching so many of my good strong peers enter testified to me of the strength of the church in these times. The spirit was strong and burning inside me. I was overcome with gratitude for being present.

It was dark and sprinkling when we walked out the doors that night. Everyone’s smiles were even bigger than when we entered. Our conversation on the drive home seemed more reverent and reserved.

I love to see the temple and enter its doors. I love the privilege it is for me to partake of the holiness within. The temple is the center of my life and the reason for my happiness.


1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh i LOVE this temple! it takes me back to when it was "my" temple when i was in VA. isn't it beautiful??? i'm so glad you were able to go. I MISS YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete