a collection of certainly special, uniquely unusual, and equally momentous thoughts: memoirs of me

Friday, June 3, 2011

A Night at the Capitol

This Memorial Day weekend was like un-other in my life. Both of my roommates were at Duck Beach (with the rest of the world) but I made some new friends that felt closer than I’ve yet felt here.

I had looked up on the internet for special activities and events commemorating Memorial Day and found the National Memorial Day concert held on the west lawn of the Capitol every year. After church me and my new friends grabbed some snacks to hold us over and headed to the metro. We made it to the Capitol just in time for the concert to start. Although we were dripping sweat from the trek there, we laid out some large blankets on the grass and enjoyed watching everyone filing in and setting up camp.

Once again I couldn’t believe I was there. I looked around at the beautiful Capitol building with the sun setting on the white stone. The American flag blowing slightly in the breeze. It felt so patriotic.

There were numerous American Idol stars who sang in tribute to our country, stories that were read by famous actors and actresses recounting war stories and those who have fallen in battle, the National Symphony played some beautiful renditions of Gabriel’s Oboe and Pearl Harbor.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself and getting to know the amazing girls I went with. I felt a closeness to them and a closeness to my county that continues to deepen as I live here.

God Bless America. Land that I Love.



No comments:

Post a Comment