a collection of certainly special, uniquely unusual, and equally momentous thoughts: memoirs of me

Friday, May 13, 2011

A sacred grove

Adventure of the day: Arlington National Cemetery

I came here when I was 17 on a trip with my history class and my all-time favorite teacher Mr. Miner. We flew into DC and the next morning our first stop was Arlington Cemetery. Even though we would see dozens of other sites throughout the next four days Arlington Cemetery would remain my favorite.

I came back today for the first time since then. It’s still my favorite.

There is a sacredness you can feel the instant you walk through the gates and see the thousands upon thousands of small white headstones perfectly lined up in rows across the rolling hills. It’s a simple place really. That’s why I like it.

I walked up the drive ways in pursuit of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It’s another perfect day. I remember when I made this small trek last time, more than 7 years ago. It was beyond freezing that morning and I was already tired of walking. I didn’t realize what I was about to see.

Today was a different experience. I couldn’t wait to get there and see the Changing of the Guard. When I arrived the officers were presenting a wreath bought by a visiting high school group. After only a couple minutes I saw it start. I love the respect given, the exactness demanded, the silence and solemnness around the whole event.

The Tomb represents all of the unknowns, those who didn’t receive glory in their finals moments, those who went unnoticed until it was too late, those who we honor and give glory to now. This is a wondrous place to ponder and think.

Everything about Arlington Cemetery is beautiful to me. It touches my heart and teaches my to be sober. I’m excited to see everything else that DC has to offer but something tells me that in the end I’ll always come back to Arlington Cemetery. It will always stay my favorite.





No comments:

Post a Comment