a collection of certainly special, uniquely unusual, and equally momentous thoughts: memoirs of me

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Temple on a Hill

The summer of 2007 I worked at Olive Garden in Idaho Falls and would drive to and from there once and sometimes twice a day. After working 12 hour shifts my feet would be swollen and painful and my mind would be crazily running in circles. I would plop into my car late at night after the restaurant closed and begin the 30 minute drive back home to Rexburg. I learned early on that after a busy night of waiting tables my mind would be reeling as it was still thinking 5 steps ahead to the next task. I created for myself a strict no music policy for those rides home so that my brain could calm down and rest.

That summer I was also preparing to go on a mission. I had made the decision to serve around the same time I began at Olive Garden. Therefore, during that entire summer my thoughts were often dominated by missionary work. I thought about what it would be like, the companions I would serve with, the people waiting for me to teach them the restored gospel. I thought a lot about those precious people. I couldn’t wait to meet them. I thought about the temple. I longed to go there. I was excited for the day I would be able to enter and wanted to do everything in my power to be worthy and clean.

I found that my car rides home became some of the most sacred times of my life. I would be tired but I would think and I would commune. There is a certain point on the highway, just a couple miles out of Rexburg, where the trees part and you can see the temple glowing in the darkness. After months of driving home in the dark I found that I would look for the temple every night. I would come around the bend and I would see that brilliant light tearing through the dark. It represented home. I knew I was home. It symbolized my goal.

The temple on the hill has become such an important part of my life. The day I went through for the first time and entered the celestial room I knew I was home. I understood that I needed to return often.

Three and half years later my goal is the same, return often. Return to the temple of the Lord. Be in His house. Learn from Him there. Feel His peace and safety.

I drove to Rexburg in the dark the other night. I looked for the temple. When I saw it, I knew I was home.



2 comments:

  1. hannah you are so amazing! i loved reading through your blog. i miss being able to hang out with you, and be inspired by you. seriously, you are such an incredible person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, I must say I feel the same way each time I drive home from the Olive Garden...Seeing the Temple gives me such relief and happiness. I know it means I will soon be home and, sometimes, safe. I love your blog! You are amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete