a collection of certainly special, uniquely unusual, and equally momentous thoughts: memoirs of me

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

a pew, a judge, and a couch

I had a new experience today which is rare considering I've lived here for several years and have done just about anything else there is to do in Rexburg.

What was this new experience you may ask? Well....I went to court.

No it's not what you're thinking. I wasn't there to plead or testify or receive a sentence. I was simply an observer. However, in the little more than an hour that I spent observing I was completely engrossed and fascinated by the whole process. Who would have thought that I would be entertained by listening to five people plead not guilty to their crimes and misdemeanors? Well I was. Even more, I was truly inspired. I could have sat on that pew all afternoon.

To any other person the proceedings would've been an absolute bore. Not for me. I fell in love with the due process awarded to every individual no matter the crime.

I've always held a deep respect for our country's judicial system and the law we abide by. Maybe I loved today because I really saw the law in action. Sure sure there was nothing too exciting that happened. I didn't get to see a jury hand out a guilty verdict to an alleged murderer, but I did see someone pleady guilty to littering. Almost as cool right?

The last man was there for a probation hearing. Once he was seated at the small table in front of the judges stand and the judge asked him how he was doing, the man proceeded to give a lengthy account of how he fell asleep and got his leg stuck in a couch for 8 hours in which he lost all circulation. When he was finally found and an ambulance was called, they had to cut him out of the couch and rush him to the hospital where he had emergency surgery to save his leg. I know right? You're thinking I'm making this up. How could someone possibly fall asleep on the couch and wake up with their leg stuck in it? Whether he was telling the truth or not is not something I will not answer here. You can decide for yourself. My point is that it was a spectacular afternoon, absolutely spectacular.

I found I was truly inspired by the man sitting on the stand wearing the black robe, the judge. I could tell he was a good man. He wanted to save the people pleading in front of him, he wanted to be able to correct them so they could get on with their life and become good citizens. The judge holds a lot of power. In his hand he holds the power to alter someone's life drastically. He must decided whether to extend justice or mercy. What an important job to do correctly.

I'm glad for new experiences that open my eyes and teach me something new and important. I hope for many new experiences, inspiring experiences, in the future and forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment