a collection of certainly special, uniquely unusual, and equally momentous thoughts: memoirs of me

Monday, February 21, 2011

Epic Experiences

If you would have asked me two weeks ago if I was going to go home for President's Day weekend I would have said absolutely not. I have the rough draft of my senior paper due this next Friday and I haven't started. I wanted a quiet weekend all alone in my apartment to rejuvenate and get in touch with myself.

This weekend has been anything but quiet and relaxing. It's been crazy busy and crazy fun.

1) Spence, Jamie, Carson, and I went night skiing at Brighton last night. EPIC. The only thing not epic about it? The fact that I bought new snow pants at Sports Authority before we left up the canyon only to realize once we got up the canyon that I had left them in a bag in my room. Not cool. I am NOT a forgetful person. My famous last words I guess. Nevertheless, the Brighton store was open and I just so happened to find a pair that was on sale (which means they were still $70 instead of the full price of $130) and this one pair of on-sale pants just so happened to be my size. Blessing. I can take the other pair back. Moving on. The conditions were P.E.R.F.E.C.T! Powder all the way. No crowds. No waiting in line. Just pure unadulterated freedom skiing down the hill with a light snow falling. We had a blast together and I was forever proud of Carson having the courage to come with us in the first place and then turning out to be amazing in the second place. He did awesome. It was a great night and tons of fun being with my brothers and sister-in-law and not thinking about anything Rexburg related.

2) My Grandma Redford turned 91 today. Just if you're wondering, that means she's lived 33,215 days. People, that's a LOT of days. That's a lot of living that she's done. When she was born there were no cars, no TVs, no internet, nothing like that. In 1920, those things hadn't even been invented yet. That's crazy to me.

After a spectacular dinner prepared by my aunt Nancy we took turns sharing our favorite grandma stories. I shared the one about driving my grandma up to the airport and having our tire blow out in the HOV lane going 80 mph. It was one of the scariest experiences of my life. It was also the only day I didn't have my cell phone. How does that always happen? After pulling over to the left shoulder which barely had enought room for our car my grandma then proceeded to swing her door open creating a hazard for all the traffic coming up. After getting that under control and explaining she needed to shut her door asap, we only had to wait a minute or two until a nice couple pulled over and helped us for the next two hours replace our spare. What a distressing experience. I'm glad I got to go through it with my grandma.

I learned a lot about Oral Irene Redford in those few minutes tonight sharing stories, like the fact that she met Philo T. Farnsworth (the inventor of the TV) while he was actually in the process of inventing it. He showed my grandma what he was up to. She thought it was crazy. Little did she know how tv would change her world. All she does now in her old age is watch CSPAN. Oh how things change. My grandma also remembers riding in a Model T Ford car.....and being thrown out of it when they went around a curve. Good stories.

Her house burned down to the ground when she was a young girl. Every material possession she owned was lost. It was the most tragic experience of her life. Her family lived in a tent for two months after that trying to get their lives back on track. She's never thought material possessions were too important. She's been a great example of frugality and hard work. Her favorite chore you might ask? Pulling weeds. She could do it for hours.

I'm grateful for this little old woman. For many many years her mind was as sharp as a needle. It's not so much anymore. Her body is withering along with her mind. She's lived a good long life and still has some years left in her. Someday I can't wait to see her in her prime. She is quite the lady.

Sometimes I don't think I need my family. I thrive on my independance and learning to do things on my own. I resist coming home and spending weekends in this freezing house that my mom loves to keep cold. But then I do come home and I never regret it. I love the conversation, the memories, the smells, the laughter, the feelings I get when I'm here.

It's home, my home.

2 comments:

  1. I agree! It was a fabulous weekend. Great blog post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. how fun!!! i'm glad you got to get away for a bit. you needed a break! love you girl!

    ReplyDelete