a collection of certainly special, uniquely unusual, and equally momentous thoughts: memoirs of me

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I'm grateful I'm physical

Now people, I'm not usually the kind to jump on the bandwagon with trends. It takes me some good old time to figure out what I like and don't like and what's really my style. So when Thanksgiving came along and everyone was blogging it up about all that they're grateful for......well, I didn't post anything. I just didn't want to make a big list of all my Thanksgiving gratefuls. But then last night happened and I was browsing the latest Ensign when at the end of President Eyring's talk on gratitude I found some ideas on what to write, some maybe more unusual things that we don't give credit to.

So this is me finally jumping on the bandwagon and committing myself to blogging about gratitude for my next TEN blog posts. Ready?

Go.

10 physical abilities I'm grateful for: 

1. the ability to walk: have you ever thought about how hard not walking would be? Although I'm pretty sure I would love the awesome muscle-ness of arms I would get wheeling myself around in a wheelchair, I'm glad I have two working legs that can walk and dance and bowl and twirl and skip.

2. the ability to use my hands properly: sometimes when I'm bored in a meeting I try writing with my left hand. I doodle a lot with my left hand. It's supposed to make your brain smarter. I've actually gotten really good at it. I'm grateful for two working hands that can touch, write, cook, feel, and hold.

3. my fully functioning healthy active digestive system: if any of you know my past then you'll understand. Let's just leave it at that.

4. the ability to play dodgeball, volleyball and football: my three favorite sports. I'm grateful I can do all three and do them pretty well. I don't like sitting on the sidelines.

5. tasting delicious food: I'm grateful for that. I'm grateful to be able to savor.every.drop of something I love, something so delicious.

6. the ability to feel other touch: I love that spark that runs through my body when someone I like hugs me or touches my arm, or even better kisses me. I love the bond that touching brings.

7.  the ability to carry and give birth and feed children of my own: now this hasn't happened yet but I can't wait for it. It's a miracle that my body will be able to do all those things. Geesh, that's awesome.

8. the ability to see colors and use eyes to behold beautiful things: there was a time when my family and I hiked Calf Creek Falls in Utah and when it started to rain on the way back, there were new waterfalls coming off the cliffs. It was something to behold. I love that I get to look at pretty things like temples and newborn babies and stores like Anthropologie and scrumptious hair-dos and rainbows of course.

9. the talent I have for sleeping well: I've always been a good sleeper. When the lights go out and my head touches the pillow I never have a hard time sleeping. And I never wake up during the night. It is a gift I'm grateful for.

10. hearing music that seems to transcend this earth: a while back I wrote this post about a song that makes my heart sing. I'm not a hard core music listener (also a really important fact about me, I love my silence) but there are still a lot of songs that really speak to me and touch me in a way I can't express in words. I'm grateful for those moments of bliss. I'm grateful that when I go home I can sit on my couch and listen to my brothers play the violin and the piano together. I would call that perfect.

And there you have it folks, my first blog on gratitude. Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment