a collection of certainly special, uniquely unusual, and equally momentous thoughts: memoirs of me

Monday, April 18, 2011

This only happens once

I was waiting for some big climatic moment to know that I was actually graduating and that it was all over. Half of me wanted real fireworks, cannons, and some sort of grand ceremonial tribute with musical instruments and streamers. I wanted something big and grand and memorable. While it wasn't completely what I had envisioned my moment finally came in the first of the two big ceremonies most graduates participate in: convocation.

After meticulously ironing my gown (I'd still appreciate it if someone can tell me why I paid $35 for a piece of black synthetic cloth resembling a table cloth) I threw it on, positioned my cardboard cap on my head, grabbed my red and gold tassels, and ran out the door.

Sitting on one of the Taylor chapel pews with several of my fellow PoliSci friends, my heart started thumping and my brow sweating. I was getting more and more excited. My entire family arrived, my dad with his humongous camera in tow, and seeing their smiling and proud faces only added to the spirit of accomplishment and joy. The chapel was packed with similar faces, parents with beaming smiles, younger siblings watching everything and knowing their time would come someday, older siblings congratulating and hugging their younger brothers and sisters.

The ceremony finally began. It was more lighthearted than I imagined with several student speakers who gave short, well-thought out talks, and a girl who recited an incredibly creative epic poem that won't be forgotten soon. Soon enough it was time for our special moment to walk across the stage and receive our diploma, or our diploma covers to be exact. There were camera flashes going off everywhere, parents hurriedly walking to the front in order to get a once-in-a-lifetime snapshot of their son or daughter shaking hands and getting their diploma.

I wasn't worried that I'd trip seeing as I was wearing flats, but I was worried that the moment would pass too quickly. Somehow I wanted to slow down time, to savor every millisecond as I walked across the stage. I was really happy. I knew that my time had come. I felt accomplished and burden-less and free. My smile went all the way across my face. There was my dad shooting as much as he could. I took my diploma cover, I shook the hands, I smiled into the crowd, I received my alumni pin, and then I took my seat once again. It felt so good.

Once it was over there was a rush to take pictures with friends and family and even say some goodbyes. I hugged friends who had influenced and helped me along me way in my classes, those who I'd studied with, written papers with, did projects with. Each one of those friends has been important to me in some way. I shook hands with several of my professors who have been dedicated examples and have taught me in the spirit of testimony and higher learning. I found my own family and hugged everyone, thanked them for their sacrifice in my behalf and their mark in my life. The pictures were taken and then gradually everyone started to leave the Taylor, leave after having jumped past one more stepping stone in life.

It was a joyous time.

The next morning was no less exciting as once again the graduates, cap and gown clad, gathered with all the thousands of graduates and their families in the BYU-I center for commencement. I loved standing in line with my PoliSci friends one last time, finding friends in other colleges and taking pictures, seeing my professors sporting their prestigious gowns and caps, of walking in the processional line into the auditorium accompanied by the applause of our respected professors, listening to Pomp and Circumstance being played on the organ, and finally taking my seat up front in front of the administration. President Clark was wearing his gorgeous red robes. This time the talks were even more impressive. The speakers- President Clark, Roger Christenson and Elder Steven E. Snow- encouraged us to continue to be good and seek the good in the world. They counseled us to put our education to good use, to be wise with our time and money, to marry and have children, and ultimately to be disciples of Jesus Christ wherever we end up. I was inspired.

Hearing the audience applause us for our accomplishments brought tears to me eyes and being able to put our hands together in honor of those who got us there was even more special. The choir sang and I was touched as I saw one of the graduates singing in the choir with tears streaming down her face. I got shivers all over. It was a moment to behold.

The whole experience was everything I hoped for. It was two long awaited days that ultimately panned out perfectly. It was a culmination of hundreds of hours studying, serving, working, learning, and teaching. For me it represented the end of another phase of life and the beginning of the next. It represented an end.

However, for me, it represented a fresh start. The start of new adventure in a new place and with new friends. I got excited. I was thrilled. This place has been good to me, it's been great to me.

I am ready. I am a Brigham Young University- Idaho Alumni.


2 comments: