a collection of certainly special, uniquely unusual, and equally momentous thoughts: memoirs of me

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Modern Dinosaurs

I've never been much of a zoo attender. I enjoyed them as a young child and hope to take my own children to zoos someday, but until then, I don't get much of a thrill walking around a zoo in summer heat.

However, on this last trip to Mexico our first stop was Picacho Peak, a rugged mountain between Phoenix and Tucson, which showcases an OSTRICH FARM at its base. Let me tell you, this was an experience I will never forget.

I was relieved to get out of the car after a long drive but was a little anxious as we walked into the farm and saw the dozens of ostriches, their long necks, beady eyes, and humongous feathery bodies, perk up as we entered with cups of food to feed them. My sister-in-law seemed completely undaunted by them and immediately walked up to the fence, held up her hand with a piece of food on her open palm, and waited. All of a sudden an ostrich zoomed in with lightening speed and snatched the piece of food out of her palm. Mach 100 speed. It looked like it could have hurt her hand since the ostrich's beak hit it so hard. Nevertheless, Jamie was unhurt and explained that that's how it happens and there's no harm or pain involved. I was a little timid to say the least.

I watched as my brothers and dad all tried it but I was still afraid to open my palm thinking the ostrich would bite off one of my fingers. Alas, I was persuaded and I held up my hand. An ostrich zoomed in but to my surprise it grabbed the piece of food and barely touched my palm. There was a slight push of my hand toward the ground and that was all.

I was hooked. I couldn't get enough of these feathery, dinosaur-like animals and their competition to grab the food out of our hands. It was a pretty hilarious experience. And no, none of my fingers were bitten off.

The ostriches weren't the only animals to feed at the farm. Next we moved on to goats, deer, and donkeys. These three were all gentle and would calmly (but also slobberly) eat the food out of our hands. Once our cups of food were gone we grabbed little plastic cups full of nectar and headed inside to the lorikeet house.

Let me tell you again, this was sa-weet!!!! All we had to do was open our cups of nectar and all of a sudden the birds started landing on us. One even landed on top of me and I had to pray really hard it wouldn't dump its last meal on my head.

Way too soon our nectar ran out and the birds became uninterested in landing on us. If the food and nectar hadn't been expensive we would have definitely bought more. I could have fed those animals all day!

I couldn't believe how fun this one half hour turned out to be. I absolutely loved every second of it and definitely want to go back someday. In fact, I wish I could take every one of my friends and family members so they could experience the craziness that is feeding ostriches!








No comments:

Post a Comment