a collection of certainly special, uniquely unusual, and equally momentous thoughts: memoirs of me

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Taye's Baptism


I had only been here maybe a week or so when I had the opportunity to go out with the sister missionaries for the first time. I was coming up on my two year anniversary of being home from my own mission and had been praying for a long time that when I moved here to DC I would be presented with missionary opportunities.

I walked to the church one weekday afternoon and could see a man standing in front of the chapel before I arrived. He was wearing a nice white collared shirt and nice dress slacks. His skin was as dark as a chocolate bar and as I came closer and introduced myself I immediately recognized his striking eyes.

That was the first time I met Taye (pronounce Ty).

Our lesson that afternoon with the missionaries was amazing. In fact, when it was all over and Taye left I turned to the sisters and said something like, “You’re kidding right? He’s golden!”

And he was.

Although he had his ups and downs, Taye was ready. He was one of those so ready for the gospel that when it was finally presented to him he just ate it up. And eat he did. He started reading the Book of Mormon immediately and didn’t stop. He understood the lessons and already knew how to pray. He didn’t have any problems with commandments like the Word of Wisdom or the Law of Chastity.

Several weeks later we had another lesson with Taye. This time we met him at a bus stop. It was near twilight and we had to teach fast so the sisters could get home in time for curfew. We sat on some cement steps right there in front of the bus stop and taught him from the scriptures. The wind was blowing softly. The sun was setting. The spirit was so strong. It took me right back to Texas and my own mission. I yearned to wear my nametag again, the one with my name right by Christ’s name. I yearned to feel the spirit that strong in my life again. I yearned for more opportunities to teach the gospel so I could feel like this more often. I yearned to be with my Latino people again and be speaking my language.

When the sisters told me that his baptism was scheduled for a Saturday morning at 9 am I groaned a little. The fact that the chapel was a half hour away didn’t help either.

I arrived a little late but got to hear the speaker end his talk. Taye was dressed in all white and seated up front. Within a couple minutes it was time for the baptismal ordinance. He followed the missionary into the water, put his arms in the right position, and we all listened to the prayer that was offered. He slid down into the water and rose……a clean man.

I felt that familiar pounding of my heart in my chest, the same pounding I felt every time I saw someone I taught on my mission get baptized. The spirit welled up inside me. The tears started to flow just like they always do for me at baptisms.

After Taye got redressed and the program started again the bishop of his new ward stood and welcomed the newest member, Bro. Akande. He presented Taye with his own quad set of scriptures, something that Taye’s wanted for some time. As Taye took the brand new scriptures and sat back down on his seat he buried his face in his hands and started to cry. Even with his dark skin I could see a glow about him. It was a moment of pure happiness.

It’s funny how sometimes the newest members of the church can have the biggest impact on me. It’s funny how they can be my greatest example of faith and courage and hope. But they are.

Taye has done more for me then I ever did for me. He taught me faith on a level I haven’t seen in a long time. He taught me persistence and hope and love and wisdom.

Welcome Bro. Taye Akande to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the only true and living church on the face of the earth. I know this decision of yours will be one of the most important of your entire lifetime. Welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment