a collection of certainly special, uniquely unusual, and equally momentous thoughts: memoirs of me

Sunday, July 24, 2011

4th of July in the Nation's Capitol

Is there any better place to celebrate the 4th of July than Washington DC? I submit that there is not.

Although hot and muggy I went along with a big group of friends to the Capitol in order to experience the Independence Day concert on the West Lawn. Being in a huge crowd with everyone dressed in red, white, and blue, and gathering on the grass at the foot of the Capitol building was a spectacular experience. I loved the concert and the patriotism of the event as we listened to numerous famous singers and performers use their talents to the fullest. Josh Groban was the highlight of the night with a voice so soothing and so perfect that it gave me chills. How grateful I am for my country!




Within seconds of Josh finishing his performance we headed away from the West Lawn and toward the Washington Monument for the fireworks. The crowds, security, and quick porta-potty trip (for me of course) prevented us from getting too close by the time the fireworks started but it didn’t matter.

Oh how I wish I could adequately describe the feeling of standing on the National Mall, surrounded by thousands of my fellow citizens, watching the fireworks erupt just behind the Washington Monument. It was a special ten minutes to be sure.

My chest filled with gratitude for my citizenship in this country, for the rights, freedoms, privileges, and comforts I enjoy. There is no pen that could write nor word that could be spoken that could capture how I felt that night.

Magical might be the closest word for how it all turned out. Exquisite and magical.



1 comment:

  1. i would have LOVED to have been there on the 4th!!! that's so awesome! we need to talk again soon!! love you! miss you!

    ReplyDelete