a collection of certainly special, uniquely unusual, and equally momentous thoughts: memoirs of me

Friday, July 15, 2011

A Concert to Never Forget

There are those certain things that cannot be described in words. There are experiences that others can only truly understand if they were there with you in the moment, standing next to you, experiencing it with you, making the memory together.

A little more than I year ago I lived in the grand country of Ecuador. Every day I would hop onto Pablo’s red truck and we’d drive through the rolling hills of the Andes to get to the orphanage where we worked. In those long moments, as I took in the deep green hills, vibrant colored houses, and serenity that that county afforded me, I would remember the hand of my Maker.

It was during those special drives to and from our babies that we would listen to Maná. I fell in love with their songs, the sound of their voices, the strumming of their guitars, and their lyrics. I knew I was hooked.

Attending a Maná concert was put on my life’s bucket list soon thereafter. The problem was that I’d never heard of Maná performing anywhere close to where I’d lived and so I figured that someday I’d have to travel to a faraway country (such as Spain) to be able to attend one of their concerts.

I never dreamed that the day I would attend one of their concerts would be today.

When Corinne heard that Maná had just started their Drama Y Luz International tour and that they were coming to DC those of us who are diehard fans bought tickets together and awaited the day.



It was everything I dreamed of.

To be completely honest, it was ironic and fulfilling for me in some ways as well. The irony is that a year ago tomorrow Chris sat me down on some nice grass, pulled out his guitar, and played me my favorite song called Bendita Tu Luz. It was amazing. He had learned it for me while I was in Ecuador and was finally able to show me all the hard word he’d put into learning the song. He did an incredible job. Little did I know that only three days later we’d brake up and I’d begin the hardest year of my life. Since that very day I have not listened to Bendita Tu Luz. It was just too hard. The tug on my heart strings was too strong.

So I went a year without listening to it.

Then tonight I got over that.

Finally.

The Patriot Stadium was filled to capacity. Me and my five friends were the only gringos in the house. There was a buzz and an excitement in the air that was palpable.

When Maná finally arrived on stage everyone went wild including us. It was deafeningly loud to the point that my ears were ringing. I’ve never been to a concert that loud.

Their songs sounded exactly like the recordings only better because they were right in front of us. There they were on stage and I couldn’t believe it.

Some songs I could sing along to because I knew the lyrics and others I would just listen to because they were from their new album.

And I waited, I waited for Bendita Tu Luz.

More than halfway through I heard the familiar guitar cords at the beginning and I scrambled to my phone’s camera to take a picture. Then I just listened and thought about what that song has meant in my life. I loved it. I hated it. Now I love it again.

Three minutes went by too fast and they moved on to different songs. But now I’m here writing this blog post and I’m still remembering. I’m remembering how I listened to it riding through the Andes, I’m remembering how I felt and the smile on my face when Chris played and sang it to me on that grassy knoll, I’m remembering the pit in my stomach that plagued me for so long and not bearing listening to it anymore, and finally I’m remembering tonight and the grin on my lips being surrounded by friends and listening to my favorite Maná song once more.

I guess you could call tonight EPIC in every way. I crossed something off my bucket list. I overcame a hurdle. I got through this extremely tough year.

I never dreamed I would get this lucky.

Thank you Maná for putting on a fabulous show. I will love you forever. Here’s to the next time I see you in concert. Let’s hope that next time I will be in España!!!

(the crowds were crazy but somehow I felt right at home with 15,000 imbibed Latinos)

(I bought a t-shirt. I never buy concert t-shirts. That's how epic this concert was)
(Thank you gentleman for the fabulous show)

(If you'd like to experience the magic that is Bendita Tu Luz you can go here and watch the music video. It's great.)

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, so jealous... going to one of their concerts is on my list of things too.

    ReplyDelete