a collection of certainly special, uniquely unusual, and equally momentous thoughts: memoirs of me

Thursday, January 23, 2014

What's in a nickname?

The first thing you have to know is that in my family we have nicknames, weird ones. It all started a couple years ago when we were watching The Amazing Race and the racers were in Russia. There was some challenge where they had to do something in a garden with a couple of Russian Babushkas (our interpretation of Russian Mothers). From then we started calling my mom Babushka because it was just appropriate.

Sometime later when my mom left to run errands she left me a note telling me where she was going and she addressed it to Eldest (me, of course). Spence became Birthright after a long argument where I insisted I was the birthright child being the oldest. Alas, Birthright stuck with Spence being the oldest boy and we've moved on. Carson is Son of my Loins (I have no idea how this one came to be but you can see the ancient trend we have going on). My sister-in-law was affectionately called Helpmeet, Adida our dog is The Lamb, and baby Beckham is Child in Swaddling Clothes. My dad is Papanua, my grandma is Stricken in Years, and we've yet to figure out one for my stepmom but I'm sure it will come to us at some point. They always come to us. In moments of pure brilliance.

Just for your entertainment, here are some other nicknames we've had over the years:

Hannah
Angel
Sweetheart
Weed
Invalid

Spence
Spence-O-Bee
Suspence

Carson
Carseat
Carson Daly


No comments:

Post a Comment