a collection of certainly special, uniquely unusual, and equally momentous thoughts: memoirs of me

Friday, January 17, 2014

I went and saw a movie by myself this week. It was Tuesday night and I was celebrating not being on crutches anymore so I hobbled myself over to the movie theater and saw Enough Said with Julia Louie-Dreyfus and James Gandolfini. There were four of us in the theater...all there alone and unaccompanied. It was so nice.

Enough Said probably isn't going to win any awards although Julia was nominated for a Golden Globe for her role in the movie. Even so, I think this movie had an important moral, one that I've thought about the rest of the week.

Loving people regardless of their quirks and idiosyncrasies.
Beginning a relationship on a clean slate, despite what you may have heard about a person. 
Not letting other people's frustrations with someone cloud your own judgement of them. 

Maybe this resonated with me so much because I am so guilty of it and I need to change.

How many times have I decided not to crush on someone because a roommate told me of an awkward encounter they had with that person?

How many times have I brushed someone off after one quirky encounter with them?

How many times have I not given people a chance, any chance to open their heart and show their true colors?

How many times have I wished that someone would give me a chance, despite my own quirks?

I've thought about all these things this week and I've resolved to do better. I'm not going to let other people's experiences ruin potentially good relationships with others.

I have good proof that this works. For someone reason I had formed a certain negative opinion of someone. Come to find out, this someone ended up being in my Duck Beach house a couple years ago. After spending four days with this person and countless hours together on the deck just talking about life, I came to find out how amazing this person really was. My original impression was completely and utterly wrong. I learned a good lesson and despaired thinking how much precious friendship time had been lost because I had a wrong first impression and hadn't made an effort to develop a relationship earlier.

So onward and upward. More giving people the benefit of the doubt in 2014. More loving them because of their quirks and idiosyncrasies, and not despite them.

I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment