a collection of certainly special, uniquely unusual, and equally momentous thoughts: memoirs of me

Friday, May 6, 2016

How do I even put this in words?

How do I even begin this blog post, the one where I talk about (finally) finding my beloved and describing our love story from start to finish? I've been meaning to write this blog post for weeks months and yet every time I think about how to do it I'm at a loss for words. 






Jeff and I went on our first date the Saturday before Thanksgiving 2014. We got engaged January 23, 2016. In between there were a million moments that got us to where we are. A thousand and one feelings and emotions and prayers, dozens of dates and conversations getting to know each other, milestones that come in a progressing relationship, lots of figuring things out, moments of complete happiness and joy, and a few discouraging experiences. 





But then one day I realized I would probably marry this man. I can't remember exactly when. There was that time sitting in my car last summer with my best friend, Whitney, when I verbalized for the first time that I could see myself marrying him. 







Or there was that time when he posted a picture on Instagram with two small kids he volunteered to babysit and this feeling came over me about how great of a father he would be someday. 







Then there was that time in August when I was in charge of a big YSA activity and Jeff spent his entire Saturday helping me with the activity. He unloaded cars, refilled drinks, and threw out trash, and so much more. He did anything I asked him to and never asked for anything in return. He was even sick that day and didn't tell me till the end of the night. He worked his tail off for me and as I fell into bed I remember thinking that that was the kind of guy that I wanted to spend my life with. I knew I was in love with him. 












Jeff and I started seriously talking about marriage just before Christmas and it felt very surreal to have those conversations. Was I ready? Could I make such a huge decision? Had we talked enough? Spent enough time together? Gone through enough together that we could get through life and kids and good and bad times together down the road? For the first time in my life I grasped onto my knowledge of the Plan of Salvation. I thought about what life might bring, I thought about all the what-ifs (there are an infinite number) and I thought about choosing. Could I make this all-eternal choice? Was I selfless enough? Was what my head and my heart telling me what God also wanted? 





But in the end there was no doubt. 

One of Jeff's roommates recently asked me if I ever wavered in my relationship with Jeff. Of course there were a few discouraging days when I wasn't sure if our personalities were a match, but by and large I always knew. Whether that was because the timing was right and I was ready when Jeff came along or because of the handful of quiet moments when I just felt like it would work out, I will never know. There have never been fireworks at any point in our relationship but somewhere along our road and in the middle of all our conversations and experiences, I knew that I wanted Jeff by my side. Forever. 






It's a very interesting experience going through this process from single to dating to engaged. For over a decade I did a lot of dating and wondering who I'd end up. What did that person look like? What were they doing? When and how would I meet them? I wondered if it would ever happen for me. And then one Saturday morning I went to a stake volleyball game. It was at 8 am and my hair was in a dirty messy bun, I had zero makeup on, and I was really sweaty after playing volleyball for an hour. I knew Jeff because we'd bumped into each other a few times and I'd heard that he was good at negotiating salaries and whatnot, so without a smidgen of an agenda I waltzed up to Jeff and asked him some questions. That conversation led to a few texts and a week and a half later we were on our first date. 







Now here we are, a month away from the wedding and I'm still at a loss for words. I had 13 solid years of dating and then all of a sudden my life is changing and I found the person I'll spend my life with. Let me tell you, it's kind of hard to wrap your head around. I'm positive that the road ahead is going to be a good one. I'm sure there will be hard times, sorrowful times, times when we feel life is crumbling and we have to hold on with our fingertips. I'm also positive that it will be a really good life. One that is full to the brim of joyful moments, successes, triumphs, love, and encouragement. Together we hope for children, we hope for good jobs and good moves, we hope for our dream home someday, and a retirement full of security. In between it all, I'm excited to spend my life with this man and go through all the big and the little things together. I'm excited to come home from work to him, for the weekend road trips, the dance parties in the kitchen, the failed dinners where we throw our hands in the air and end up ordering pizza. I'm excited to pick out furniture with him, choose our baby names, travel to new places, and buy an outdoor grill with him. 



Through my loss of words I know one thing, I'm the happiest I've ever been. Life is about to radically change and it's because I found my person. Jeff completes me and make me better. He encourages and comforts. He's willing to listen and learn and serve. 

My loss of words is only due to the fact that there aren't words. I can only say that in my heart of hearts I feel like the luckiest person in the world. I can't wait for this wild adventure to begin!


A humongous shout out to our incredible photographer, Corrin Jasinski. Her work is absolutely stunning and she was a dream to work with. We would wholeheartedly recommend her for any of your photography needs in the DC Metro Area. Find her work at http://corrinjasinskiphotography.com.

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post so much! Beautifully written! Love you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you! I think you did a beautiful job using words to describe your loss of words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos and beautiful story! You couldn't be any more ready. So happy for you! I'm so glad you feel lucky because I'm sure he feels the same. :) - Lisa Schader

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hannah,
    We will never forget several years ago,when these two girls showed up at our front door and became a big part of our life and a big part of our family. And always will be. We have missed you so much. We are so happy for you and proud of you.
    It has been amazing to see you continue grow and be a part of all adventures through social media. We are so happy that you found Jeff and wish the best for you both. Sorry that we couldn't come. I loved your pictures. I hope to be able to continue to keep up with you. We so enjoy your posts and blogs. From time to time we look back at all of our pictures and remember all the great times we all had. Best wishes and congratulations.
    Love Always- Steve and Mary Runkel

    ReplyDelete