a collection of certainly special, uniquely unusual, and equally momentous thoughts: memoirs of me

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I never want to see a police officer at my door at 12:45 am ever again


So I had an experience last night.

One of those I-have-to-be-an-adult experiences where I “get” to do things I’ve never done before nor would ever choose to do if I didn’t have to.

So let me ask you this, have you ever gone to your car and not found it where you left it?

I mean, it happens to the best of us.

I walked out to the parking garage last night to run to Costco and my car (my roommate Katie’s car that I’m borrowing) was nowhere to be found. My heart immediately went into slight panic mode as I looked around and tried to rack my brain about where I must have left it. It was then that I realized that ALL the cars were gone from the parking garage.

Of course we found a letter on the floor of Katie’s room notifying everyone of the garage close yesterday morning. It even listed the towing service that would be used if any cars were not removed from the garage. How kind of them. 

Just like a good roommate I called the towing company and got the address to the tow lot. Next I called a friend to come pick me up and soon enough we were on our way.

This wasn’t going to be as hard as I thought.

False.

Two-lots-without-my-car later my friend dropped me off at home car-less and concerned.

I became really grown up next when I called the Arlington non-emergency number and talked to several nice people who, even though I didn’t know the license plate number, VIN, or my roommate’s social security number, told me that my car had never been towed.

Oh no.

Heart beating.

“Ma’am do you want to go ahead and file a stolen vehicle report?”

I guess.

Within a few minutes there was a knock on my door and a police officer standing in my doorway. We went over the details of the evening, where the car was parked last, and the fact that it hadn’t appeared at either car lot.

This is legit stuff.

At this point I’m almost laughing. I mean, my car disappeared, I had no idea where it was, and it wasn’t even my car.

The good news is that this all ends well. I got a call a few minutes later from the police officer informing me that he’d found the car………

{wait for it}

……in the parking garage across the street.

Awesome.

As it turns out the Avalon had decided to tow all the cars into the garage instead of to the tow lot and not let anyone know.

Double awesome.

I walked over to make sure my baby was safe and sound, walked home, called and soothed my worried owner-of-the-car roommate, and went to sleep at 1:15am.

I’m officially calling myself a bona fide adult.

Oh yeah, I also called and canceled the stolen vehicle report, thus ensuring that neither me nor Katie will get pulled over at gunpoint for driving a stolen vehicle.

Now that would have been a great story.




3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a crazy story! I'm glad you found the car! I bet you were so relieved to find it in the other lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness that sounds stressful! So glad it worked out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After all the adrenaline and stress of searching for a lost/stolen/towed car, I bet you slept very well that night.

    ReplyDelete