a collection of certainly special, uniquely unusual, and equally momentous thoughts: memoirs of me

Friday, February 3, 2012

Food loves- a top ten

Top ten favorite food items:

1) Lime- ANYTHING is better with lime. Nuff said. But I especially enjoy tacos on the street of some small Mexican pueblo with the corn tortilla, carne asada, cliantro, onion, and lime.

2)  Cilantro- I could probably eat an entire salad out of the stuff I love it so much. Reference the tacos above for a detailed explained of the perfect taco.

3) Onion- My mouth waters just thinking about onions caramelizing on the stove top, but whether it's a thick slice of onion on a grilled hamburger in the summertime, in a tin foil dinner fresh from the fire coals, or with roast and potatoes from the crock pot at the end of a Fast Sunday, I think you can see where I'm going with this. Onions are one of the best inventions of our Creator.

4) Salt- My dad's been trying to get me to read the book Salt by Mark Kurlansky for a while now because who wouldn't want to read a history of salt? Actually I really want to read it because I think the evolution of this beautiful mineral would be fascinating. Supposedly back in the olden days, I'm talking a couple hundred years ago, salt was a luxury and rare commodity. Only the royals had riches enough to buy and use it. My how things have changed eh?

5) Great Harvest bread- Any of you who've experienced Great Harvest bread know what I'm talking about. Those of you who haven't, I sincerely apologize. Your world will change. I promise. 

6) Cafe Rio tomatillo dressing- Let me get one thing straight, I don't have an obsession with Cafe Rio because of the sweet pork. No no. For me it's something completely different. It's the creamy goodness of the green tomatillo dressing. I could smother any and everything in it and die perfectly happy. Whether it's a salad I get at Cafe Rio or a burrito (non Cafe Rio style) I always get a large tomatillo dressing and enjoy every bite with a smile on my face.

7) Water- Being a rare soda drinker (on a really bad day I'll enjoy an ice cold Dr. Pepper but for the most part avoid the stuff) I have a fondness for good ol' aqua. Sometimes I can't get over how a clear liquid can satisfy me like no other thing can, but it does, and I thank you for it water.

8) Frosted mini wheats cereal- Only those who've lived with me know this but I have eaten Frosted mini wheats cereal with frozen blueberries every morning for a very long time now. I hate super sugary
cereal but I also despise Grapenuts-like blahness, so I find a perfect balance in my frosted minis. Plus, I add frozen blueberries which keep my milk super cold till the end and give me the healthy nutrients from the blueberries that I need. I'm full, I'm healthy, I'm happy.

9) Chocolate- I mean, how could I not include chocolate? From the time I was 17 years old to 23 I couldn't and didn't eat an M&Ms worth of chocolate because of my Crohn's. It was hard but I kept going because eating chocolate hurt my intestine so bad that it wasn't worth it. I'm thankful for that trial because I learned almost perfect self-discipline when it came to eating. Now that I can eat chocolate I enjoy it ever so much more and probably appreciate the melt-in-your-mouth experience better than most people. 

10) Fruit- Out of all the food groups this one has never been a problem for me....ever. I might be a little obsessed with the large containers of Driscoll's raspberries from Costco that I snack on constantly, the cut pineapple that I almost always have in my fridge, or the summer ripe strawberries that I get constantly during the summer months and feed off of daily. Fruit is a beautiful thing isn't it?

Aw, food. Doesn't it just make everyone happy? It sure does me :)

1 comment:

  1. I am most definitely going to try Frosted mini's with frozen blueberries! That's genius! I sometimes put fresh blueberries, but ice cold ones sounds so much better!

    ReplyDelete