a collection of certainly special, uniquely unusual, and equally momentous thoughts: memoirs of me

Thursday, January 22, 2015

My dear Aunt Laurie

**I originally wrote this post on January 20, 2014, when we thought Laurie had just days to live. She held on for another year and finally lost her 8-year battle with cancer last night.** 

Nine years ago when I was a junior in high school my cousin, Seth, was killed in a car accident. He was texting while driving and was killed after he rolled his car off the side of the road. His passing was particularly hard on me as Seth was only six days older than me and we had grown up together, our houses only 20 minutes apart. It was also particularly hard for his twin sister Kaylee, as it was for the rest of our family.

When I went home for the holidays this year I gathered with that side of my family. My cousin Kaylee was there, as well as her mom and dad and younger brother Landon. But you see, tragedy has struck that family again. My aunt Laurie has cancer. Tumors fill her body and it is only a matter of days before I receive a phone call that she has passed away. She is just over 50 years old and will pass decades before her time, leaving behind the rest of us to pick up the pieces and summon the faith to continue on. She will pass through the veil, leaving behind her broken body and will be reunited with her son, Seth, never to be separated.

Eight months ago my brother and sister-in-law welcomed their first child, Beckham, into this world. Beckham made me an aunt and is the light of my family's life. He is a little bit of sunshine. A little spirit housed in a perfect body, with a happy disposition and a smile that never stops. He has been the biggest blessing for my family. He has softened us. He has brought us together.

I have been close to tears thinking of the crossroads at which my family stands right now. We are all experiencing and struggling with seeing our dear Laurie suffer through her last days on earth. We are preparing ourselves, each saying slow goodbyes. Conversely we are warmed at the thought of new life and perfect babies who come to the earth fresh from our Father in Heaven. One soul beginning it's life on earth, another finishing.

Beckham and Laurie have a special bond right now. Laurie anxiously waits for my brother and sister-in-law to bring him over. He lights up when he sees her and she does the same. There is a special tug on my heartstrings as I see them together. Both so close to the veil but on opposite sides of their mortal existence.

It is times like these in which I am sure of the existence of God. It is times like these when I kneel in gratitude for His plan- a plan of happiness, a plan for families to stay together forever. I imagine the time when we all pass through the veil and are reunited in that Celestial place, never to be separated again.

No comments:

Post a Comment