a collection of certainly special, uniquely unusual, and equally momentous thoughts: memoirs of me

Sunday, November 30, 2014

President Eyring at the Vatican

In a world where popular opinion and culture try to quiet truth and righteousness, it can be hard to know where to turn for truth and right. Truth can be hard to recognize in a world so noisy and polarized with opinions and so swayed by moral relativism.

President Eyring was invited to speak at the Vatican several weeks ago for a colloquium about the Complimentarity of Men and Women. This event and his remarks went by and large unnoticed to most of the world. They didn't know it was happening. They didn't listen.

But what he said I believe in strongly. His words are important. They are sound and they are true.

Speaking about his relationship with his beloved wife, he said, "Most remarkable to me has been the fulfillment of the hope I felt the day I met my wife...We have been complementary beyond anything I could have imagined....I realize now that we grew together into one - slowly lifting and shaping each other, year by year. As we absorbed strength from each other, it did not diminish our personal gifts.

Our difference combined as if they were designed to create a better whole. Rather than dividing us, our differences bound us together. Above all, our unique abilities allowed us to become partners with God in creating human life."

There are turbulent times ahead - times when each of us is going to have to decide where we stand and how we're going to defend ourselves and our church. I hope to always be able to speak to marriage and family like President Eyring has done. This I know to be true, that man and woman are here for each other and there will be no greater happiness than nurturing a marriage relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment